I am no real fan of baking, but every now and then I get a hankering for something sweet and figure it is best to be in charge of the sugar I am consuming and to avoid things like corn syrup and other garbage type sweeteners out there. Last week when I got this hankering I opened up my cupboards and went through the mess inside. From there I was about to find a few items that would hopefully *fingers crossed* be able to mash together to turn into something delicious or at least edible.
These cookies are made with Otto's Cassava Flour which is completely nut and grain free which means yes, it is also gluten free! It also means although the conversion of wheat flour to cassava flour is pretty incredible it does cook up a little bit weird because it is not wheat. So, just a pro-tip allow your cookies to cool fully before trying to eat them so they have a chance to actually harden up.
Now that you have been warned lets get right into the fun stuff, the recipe!
Spiced Chocolate Cookies: (makes about 25-30 cookies)
1 cup Otto's Cassava Flour
1/4 cup Raw Cacao or Cocoa Powder (no added sugar)
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp or a dash of chili powder
1/2 cup ghee, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp coconut cream
1 - 2 tbsp Primal Palate Cinnamon Cookie Blend
1/8 tsp or a dash chili powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, then set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl mix together cassava flour, cacao powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and chili powder. A whisk will make easy work of this but a fork will do well also, be sure to be gentle the cassava will kick up some dust. Once thoroughly mixed together set aside.
3. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, in a large bowl cream together ghee and coconut sugar. Once it begins looking creamy add in the egg and continue to mix on low to medium until a smooth mixture begins to form, then add in the coconut cream and continue mixing at medium-high for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Slowly begin mixing the dry ingredients into the large bowl with wet ingredients. Remember that cassava flour will kick up a fuss so go slowly and better yet if your stand mixer has a dust guard snap that bad boy on there to help reduce some clean up for yourself later on.
5. Continue mixing all ingredients together until a dough begins to form. Once dough has form it is ready to be turned into cookie balls!
6. To get ready for the cookies, mix the primal palate cinnamon cookie mixture and chili powder together in a small bowl.
7. Using a table scoop out your cookie dough and then use hands to roll it into a ball. Place the ball in the chili cinnamon mixture and roll around until completely coated. Place cookie on the cookie sheet and using the back of a glass flatten to about 1/4 inch. Repeat this process until all cookie dough is used up.
8. Place both cookie sheets of cookies into the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet. Remember they will remain very soft until they begin to cool, so allow them to fully cool before trying to move them or you risk them falling apart on you.
Once they have cooled share with friends or secretly enjoy on your own. They will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, if you can let them last that long.