Valentine's day is just around the corner and everything is being died red and pink, so I figured I would jump on the bandwagon but the nutritionist in me just couldn't get on board with all the red food dye so I decided to jump in beets first (see what I did there).
This was a great chance for me to test out making one of my very types of dessert, the red velvet cake. The beets help to keep the cake moist and develop a beautiful deep red colour without using half a bottle of dye.
Not only did I work to remove the red dye from these delicious red velvet wonders I decided to really go for it and make them gluten free and vegan, so maybe these guys might not be paleo I have been able to remove many of the top allergens and inflammatory agents that end up being the main parts of most of our Valentine's day goodies.
The last wonderful things about these red velvet brownies (as if there could be more) is that they are so incredibly simple. As someone who isn't a fan of baking when it comes to baking it's gotta be super simple. This recipe requires is a blender and a fork or spatula and an 8x8 casserole dish.
Red Velvet Beet Brownies (12 squares)
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cacao powder
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup sliced frozen beets, thawed
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1/2 cup avocado oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil + more to cover casserole dish
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Place oats into a blender and pulse until oats turn into a fine flour, transfer into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a mixing bowl add baking powder, salt, cacao and stir together with a fork.
4. Place beets, coconut milk, coconut sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in blender and blend until smooth. Once smooth pour beet mixture out into mixed dry ingredients and fold in with spatula, be sure not to over mix.
5. Using a paper towel scoop up some coconut oil and rub it onto the casserole dish. Pour the batter into the coated dish and place it into the preheated oven bake for 30-35 minutes. You will know it's done when you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
6. While the brownies are cooling microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil in bouts of 30 seconds mixing each time. Once the chocolate chips have melted use a small spoon to drizzle chocolate over top. Once the brownies are cooled cut into 12 squares and enjoy.